Friday, July 30, 2010

vanishing 20 degrees

So I'm really really burnt and badly need a shower, so this will be brief! We arrived safe and sound, if somewhat nauseous (me at least, Grace too I suspect), in Madrid yesterday after hopefully one of my last road trips with A's dad at the wheel! He's one of them swervy drivers and 4+ hours of that in the back-seat can bring on the carsick, I tell ya! Poor G-dog still isn't getting the center of gravity thing and spent most of the trip trying to stand and me needing to grab her to keep her from falling off her third of the seat (she was wedged between me and a box).

Of course my loopy tummy might also have been part of a migraine predrome because a whopper hit me shortly after we arrived in our new apartment. Or should I say palace, because the place is riii-diculously large and pretty overall great. More details and photos to follow.

Tomorrow hopefully will start a better streak of luck though. I guess it started late yesterday when I couldn't get into the apartment after Alain & his dad went off somewhere and I was trying to go upstairs with Grace. I waited 40 minutes until the doorman came and showed me the trick (2 locks, the second one needs to be pulled while turning the key, then the door pushed hard). Shortly thereafter the air-conditioner stopped working (the Droga boys were back and I suspect someone pushed some buttons they shouldn't have).

The latter is a bit of a drag just at night since it's been reaching 40C these days, our bedroom faces the street and I'm a light sleeper so windows open at night means sleeplessness. The earplugs nonetheless got me a few hours and this morning we awoke to an unbelievably cool breeze. The temperature drops by almost 20C overnight, it's wild! Tonight we've found two fans to keep us from melting.

Anyway, the last and worst bit of bad luck is that we left the poor G alone for the first time today to go to the bank and she somehow ended up locked in a small dark back bedroom (she must have pushed the I-was-certain-that-door-was-closed door open and it then latched behind her). But that wasn't a good trauma to her already stressed & confused brain. Poor thing doesn't understand this is our new home, and she also must be wondering what happened to the two new pack members she had recently adopted!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carol, glad you all made it to Madrid safe and sound! Best wishes to Alain as he starts his new job next week!
    love, edie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice to talk to you my dear! Can't wait to see pictures of your new palace with 3 salons! Miss you xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made the trip safely! Can't wait to see pics of your new digs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey C, happy to hear that you made it safely to your new digs in Madrid. Look forward to seeing the photos.

    Hope to talk to you soon...
    XOXO
    MM

    ReplyDelete