Friday, November 26, 2010

vicious circle that is my brain

I've decided to try to "step away" from the computer for the rest of today, despite not finishing the article I needed to draft. I've spent the past three days pretty much glued to the screen and it's done nothing but encourage the migraine that I've been fighting, which is the cause and reason I have to spend so much time online. See the more I (try) to work, the more strained my eyes and neck get and the worse the headache gets and the slower I work, then the longer it takes, then.... Very frustrating, to say the least.

Sorry that I must whine to you, my faithful two or three readers, because the dog frankly doesn't listen! Seriously, A would gladly half-hear me if he hadn't gone to his padre's again so I'm on day 2 of solo-solo. (I cannot complain though, as I had him for three weekends in a row). The only person I may have the chance of speaking to is a neighbour whose dog G is super-playmates with when we chance upon them in the park. But then she (the lady, not the dog) is a bit strange and with worse health problems than mine (she weighs about 80lbs and just got out of the hospital for pneumonia despite being only around 40 yrs old) so never would I complain to her!

And speaking of that dog, I am hoping that she finds herself in a new home soon. The owner yesterday reiterated what she's been telling Alain for awhile: she needs to give Fanny up because she's allergic and not in shape to resist the allergy symptoms, nor can she give her enough exercise or attention. The dog seems underfed too and very stressed when I saw her yesterday (apparently, the woman's father yells and and hits the dog and probably had a field day while the woman was away in the hospital).

Now I know what you're thinking: why don't we take the dog? Well, it is tempting but it's not going to happen. Fanny's one year old and has never been trained at all (not even on a leash - she runs free), not to mention whatever emotional problems she likely has. Bringing that type of troubled kid into a home with a very-very-very territorial hard-headed mutt like G would be a big mess, I just know it.

She and G love to wrestle and chase each other around (one of the few instances where I let G off the leash, as there is no WAY that she and Fanny can play freely/safely otherwise, the leash would choke or otherwise hurt someone) like I've never seen G do with any other dog. But G has lost friends before in serious fights over balls and the territory of our kitchen in Tokyo (both Dodger & Fuji felt her wrath there).

Anyway, whatever new home Fanny ends up in will be a vast improvement to her life now (stress at home, possibly underfed, gets to play outside maybe once a day and always in the same sandy park).

It's Grace that'll be losing out, as the damn aggressive mutt hasn't made many friends. Not that I'm in any position to criticize here on that!

3 comments:

  1. hey C. I hope that you managed to stay away from the computer for the day and were able to keep the migraine at bay.

    I wasn't thinking why don't you take your neighbor's obviously neglected dog because you have G and she is enough and you just can't rescue them all! I hope that your neighbor has the strength to give Fanny up and that Fanny gets a better home & life.
    XOXO
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can count me as your fourth faithful reader. I can't resist living vicariously through your adventures abroad. Plus, Andrea has no patience for these things, so SOMEBODY has to keep her up to date on what her friends are up to.

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie! No way! Where do you find time to read my nonsense and geez girl, my life is too dull to qualify for vicarious living! Seriously, nice to e you around. Wish you had a blog I could follow. The adventures of Neva + Hugo's discoveries. Not to mention your work, which always interested me! Can I tempt you? LOL. Meanwhile, give A a smack for me. Oh and can you e-mail me your address please. My christmas card got returned last year and it's that time once again!

    ReplyDelete