Tuesday, February 8, 2011

eco-regret

Sometimes I wish I were not such an eco-nut. Like right now, I'm hungry and want to make red lentil dahl but am lazy to copy down the recipe. For once, I wish we had a printer.

I'm also thinking it is time I bought some clothes, as my wardrobe is getting quite raggedy. Only problem is that I prefer second hand but there aren't any good ones in Madrid. Unless you're into polyester retro nonsense.

Another thing that irks me is my inability to find affordable vegan mascara (my organic shop has one for 18 euros!) and eye pencil. This old girl has very pale eyes and if I don't mark 'em up a little (and wear some blush) people are likely to ask me if I'm well.

On the latter items, this leads me to a very frustrating story... My sister M sent me a birthday package back in December that includes said mascara and eyeliner. However, the company subcontracted by the Spanish post office to handle customs on packages STILL has my package hostage!

We have struggled for two months to get it all settled (they don't answer the phone, but occasionally reply to e-mail with very rude tone and without including a name) and we still don't have a final explanation for all the charges that add up to a total duty/handling/tax/who-the-hell-knows-what bill of 70 euros!

We found out after our initial disbelief at their unprofessional/incompetent/suspected fraudulent behaviour that they are notorious for exactly this and worse! A particularly sad story is that of a Korean student to whom her mother sent (her own!) winter clothes. She ended up paying 90 euros, they didn't release her stuff because they decided to charge her more, but she decided not to pay (not trusting that would be the end of it) so lost her money and her clothes!

Anyway, there's a whole movement against this company (Speedtrans) it seems, which is why we're fighting and I still don't have my gift, no matter how much I crave it!

But enough about that for today. Finally, I have continued this post after dinner and have decided to include the dahl recipe, since I know my fav readers like to cook! And bonus: this is easy-peasy.

A second bowl's a given red lentil dahl
(adapted from The Weather in Cascadia)

  • olive oil
  • 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1-2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp (freshly ground) coriander
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • (2 tablespoons hemp or flax meal, optional)
  • salt to taste
  • a few dollops plain yogurt, optional

Heat the oil and fry the garlic & ginger on med-high for a couple of minutes. Add all the spices and cook another couple of minutes.

Add the lentils and vegetable broth, and raise the heat to medium-high. When it comes to a boil, reduce to medium-low and simmer, partially covered. Continue to simmer and stir occasionally until the lentils are tender - around 15 minutes. (Add hemp powder at some point just before you're ready to serve.)

Taste and season with salt.

Ladle into bowls and add the yogurt, if desired.

If you want a lot of yogurt, as we did (a big tablespoon each) you might want to warm it first as it cooled the dahl a bit too much. We devoured ours with (microwave) baked sweet potatoes and steamed judias verdes (gigantic flat Spanish green beans). And I found a treasure in the freezer this afternoon: a brownie each for dessert!

Besos.

3 comments:

  1. OMG - great shot Carol! Is that Horace and Gonzo??!!! SO CUTE! (You are too, not just the pussy cats!)
    luv, edie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always pull out that sewing machine and make some clothes for yourself?!!!
    edie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ede: Yes, I think it is Horace & Gonzo (I didn't remember their names tho! Which was the one we threw in the creek that time, do you remember that? Oh man we had some fun times at that farm, didn't we? Anyway, aren't you the one that sent me those photos (shot by Uncle B)? If not, I can send 'em to you, I have like 5 or so.

    About sewing... I ain't very good at it. Okay for mending, hemming, making simple things like my gift bags but clothes? Not so much! I tried to follow a pattern once and thought my head would explode (though I still have one of the skirts I made from it)! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete