Wednesday, February 2, 2011

i wasn't hungry, until i ate

For those who don't know my secret, I eat often. I mean secret in the positive, "Ooh, that's what her secret is" sense. Because yes, I know I'm quite thin and I know eating often helps my metabolism to keep it that way.

But I digress... My point is that today around my normal morning snack time (that is about 3-4 hours after my breakfast, which this morning was toast with chestnut honey-drizzled fresh cheese and a pear), I wasn't actually hungry but went to the kitchen merely to make myself a cup of chai tea.

While waiting for the water to boil however, I saw the tin on the counter and thought, oh I'll have just one. Well one woke up my stomach and I think I ate five (they're small) and had to force myself to put the lid back on. My stomach is still growling, 20 minutes later.

Anyway, the whole episode reminded me that I must share this recipe. Those who like oat cakes MUST try 'em for they are too easy and superb.

Thyme-scented oat cakes
Adapted from Anja's Food 4 Thought

8 oz fine stone-ground oats (I used organic flaked oats, which are popular here)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
6-8 tablespoons boiling water

Preheat the oven to 375F/180C. Line a baking sheet with parchment (I just used a nice newish, unscratched non-stick one, no paper).

Whizz all ingredients except the water in a food processor, mini chopper or blender, until well combined.

Add the boiling water one tablespoon at a time. By the 5th spoon it'll start to get sticky but thick, which is how you want it, so stop putting water when it looks like a good dough consistency (I think I put 5 or 6).

Make a ball & roll it out on a floured surface while still warm (or it gets too stiff), to as thin as possible (approx 2 mm). Cut with cookie cutter, glass or a knife.

Bake 15-17 minutes until lightly coloured. Cool on rack & store in airtight container.

---

Peanut butter and banana granola bar squares
that are a meal in themselves!
Aside from that, I also made some rich peanut butter & banana granola squares last week (photo here) and on the weekend came pretty close to complete success in the bread department.

I made two baguettes the other night (dough had been fermenting, à la Peter Reinhart, in the fridge a couple of days) that had me doing a bit of a victory dance and taunting poor innocent Alain, who responded by saying no, he wasn't jealous of my skill, all he cares about is getting to eat the products of it!

He is quite spoiled really, as is little Ms. Whitey whose favourite liver cookies I also make, despite nearly provoking a vomiting bout every time I throw the uncooked liver into the food processor. DIS-GUST-ING!

These aren't the baguettes, they're previous, less-successful attempts at a batard (bottom)
and a funny-folded failure that didn't cook properly in the middle!

4 comments:

  1. Pics look great, even the bread failures! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, now I'M hungry! Mmmmmm...I LOVE oat cakes - will have to try your recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh HARRO! I'm so making that recipe! I have some thyme in the fridge that I was going to throw out, but this is PERFECT!
    Miss you! xox
    I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, those do sound good, I'll try 'em! What about those granola bars, they sound good too, can you share the recipe for those babies too?....Edie

    ReplyDelete