Thursday, September 29, 2011

got me a dose of justified paranoia

So another tale of woe (I've had many of late, as I seem to have been struck by some sort of minor hex) that I've not mentioned is my non-justifiably besmirched credit record.

In finally switching banks (had wanted to for some time, for ethical/tarsands reasons but could not do so from overseas), my new credit union branch manager told me that they unfortunately had to limit the activities I would be able to conduct on my account, due to a collection agency being apparently after me! Me, queen of responsibility and thrift! Me who hates to owe anything to anyone and hadn't had any debt to speak of since university!

Needless to say, I was upset. It took numerous phone calls for me to determine that, in fact, the collection agency was after someone named Caroline and not moi, and for an address I have never lived at!  How this got attached to my credit record, none of the involved parties can say. But regardless, Equifax, the credit bureau from hell (holders of the smear!), got me so incredibly frustrated I thought my head would explode, with their horrible contact options, long hold times, ignorant call-centre workers spouting things that just do not make sense, and a complete unavailability of supervisors who one might hope may be better informed/more intelligent.

Oh and by the way, Equifax records your phone call without advising you in advance (the dumbest agent I spoke to let that slip). Which is fine by me, perhaps someone may hear the dumb idiot repeat nonsense over and over, despite my valid debunking every time.

The collection agency was, on the other hand, very helpful and professional. They went out of their way to exonerate me enough to satisfy my credit union.

As for my official credit record, unfortunately the matter still lies in the hands of Equimess. I need to be in a very calm place before I call them back up to find out the status of the correction to my record.

But I digress... Sorry. What I wanted to whinge about was the fact that in the last week, I've started receiving spam in my junk mail folder that is specifically about credit records! There is no privacy in e-world, people, none at all. And it's rather frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment